Advertisement

Keeping Butts in Office Chairs in the Age of Job Hopping

Keeping Butts in Office Chairs in the Age of Job Hopping
From Recruiter - September 14, 2016

Business media outlets are ripe with stories about millennials and how they cant sit still for more than two years at a job. But the truth of the matter is the trend isnt limited to themillennials. In fact, 63 percent of full-time employees are looking for a new job, according to A Snapshot of Competition for Talent in the U.S., a new research report from iCIMS.

The breakdown provided by the report may be surprising to many. Sure, 71 percent of millennials are looking for new work, but 66 percent of Gen. X-ers and 44 percent of baby boomers are also willing to see if the grass is greener on the other side. In addition, 56 percent of all full-time employees would be willing to leave their jobs to join the gig economy.

With so many people unhappy in their current jobs, recruitment and retention personnel are left wondering: How do we get them to stay?

Ask Your Employees Whats Wrong

If employerswant to retain top talent, the last thing they can afford to do is stand there and wave as employees leap over the side of the proverbial ship. Instead, companies must engage with their workers to find out why they areunsatisfied.

Todays employees wont hesitate to make their next big career move if a better opportunity comes along, says Susan Vitale, chief marketing officer for iCIMS. Knowing that employees are considering leaving, it is important to also note their current job-seeking status.

According to the report, 42 percent of employees say the would consider pursuing a new role with a new employerbecause they have limited opportunities for growth or promotion in their current jobs. Additional reasons why employees may be looking to leave include no longer believing in the companys mission, declining industries, inflexible work schedules, and poor relationships with managers and coworkers.

With a glimpse into the mindsets of employees, companies have the opportunity to recognize potential deal-breakers in their own organizations and implement changes to avoid losing great talent to competitors, Vitale says.

Since the economybeganrecovering from the 2008 recession, employers have lost the upper hand. If companies dont offer the best they can to their workforces, their employees will seek the perks and salaries they want elsewhere.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Recruiter »