Advertisement

Put Your Employer Value Proposition Through These Five Stress Tests

Put Your Employer Value Proposition Through These Five Stress Tests
From Recruiter - October 12, 2016

In June,UniversumreleasedEmployer Branding Now, a wide-ranging report that surveys the state of employer branding in 2016. Over the course of thepast few months, weve been diving into the report in depth to explore some of the conclusions it draws and the prescriptions it issues. This is the third installment in the series. Part one is available here. Part two is available here.

As with all branding efforts, employer branding is a matter of differentiation. The goal of an organizations employer branding strategy should be to set it apart from the competition in such a way as to attract the right kinds of candidates to the company. In order for companies to truly differentiate themselves, they need to construct powerful employer value propositions (EVPs).

At its core, an EVP describes a combined set of workplace qualities that an organization would like to own. It is a unique set of offerings, associations, and values that will positively influence the most suitable target candidates and the internal target groups, says Jonna Sjvall, senior vice president of talent strategy and employer branding at Universum. These associations are then used as a long-term foundation and framework for an organizations people touchpoints.

The State of EVPs Today

Universums survey found that 58 percent of top employers designate their EVPs as their primary points of reference for their employer brand promises and activitieswhich means that by and large, the best employers take their EVPs seriously and actually use them to drive their talent strategies.

But while89 percent of the worlds most attractive employers believe that the purpose of an EVP is to define the qualities an organization would most like to be associated with as an employer, comparatively few of them actually focus on differentiation in their EVPs. According to Universum, only 36 percent of top employers said their EVPs included key differentiators. Given how critical differentiation is to any employer branding strategy, organizations would do well to ensure that their EVPs clearly define the differences between themselves and their competitors.

Furthermore, 65 percent of top employers said their EVPsincluded a short, single-minded statement or tagline capturing the essence of [their] proposition. Its important to note, however, that EVPs are more than just taglines. They are essentially mission statements that govern how an organization approaches, engages with, and retains talent.

[An EVP] involves the systemic management of elements that shape how people experience you as an employer, Sjvall says. In addition to tangible elements like messaging or recruitment collateral, an EVP also guides a companys communication strategy and candidate and employment experience.

Its fine to include a tagline in your EVPbut you shouldnt stop there.

Universum also found that only 25 percent of top employers said their EVPs were clearly linked to their customer brands. The lack of a clear link could pose some problems for the other 75 percent.



Advertisement

Continue reading at Recruiter »